Friday, June 13, 2008

Burrito Pie.... Arriba! Ole!

This recipe was recently requested from me... its a McDermott family favorite... ok, its MY favorite so I guess that makes it a Harkness family favorite too. My Grandmom used to make it for family dinners on occasion growing up, it always feels a little bit like cheating and eating pie for dinner (kind of). Also, its ingredients that you usually have on hand... so I end up making it a lot of nights I just run out of ideas.

SO. Without further ado... Ahem.

BURRITO PIE


Crust:
1 Cup Bisquick
1/4 cup water
1 16 oz can refried beans

Mix all ingredients until well combined, then spread into well greased (PAM) 10'' pie pan. Chill.*

Filling:
3-4 cooked and shredded/cubed chicken breasts**
1 can your favorite salsa

Mix chicken and salsa together, dump on top of burrito 'crust.'

Toppings:

1 Cup shredded cheddar or Jack cheese
1 can sliced olives
2-3 sliced green onions
1 Avocado, sliced lengthwise (into moon shaped slivers)

Add cheese to top of chicken mixture. Arrange avocados in sun like pattern, then garnish with olives and green onions. Pretty, huh?

Bake 30 min at 400. Serve with dab of sour cream on top. Yuuuuuuum!

*I sooooo never chill the crust. Anyone know why the heck you're supposed to do that anyways?
** Tip for chicken filling, I usually put a whole bag of frozen chicken breast in the crock pot on low sometime mid-morning, and by mid afternoon when you're ready to assemble, you already have your filling waiting for you. It also shreds really nice, never dries out, and you don't have to touch raw chicken. Win, win, WIN!

I'm soooo hungry now. I'm off to raid the pantry.

xo

No comments: