Saturday, July 25, 2009

It is Written

BEHOLD:


That's right, folks. Dawson has met his summer goal of being able to spell AND write his first and last name before kindergarten.

This is a proud parenting moment, indeed. The kid is brilliant, I'm telling you. He simply made up his mind one day, and it took him less than 5 minutes to memorize the letters once he decided he could do it!

I sat and watched as he wrote them all out yesterday, and never said a peep. It was like he had done it a million times. The strangest feeling came over me, like we are entering a new chapter and this is tangible evidence. It stung a little!

The part that struck me most odd was as he wrote the lowercase letter 'e,' he looked at me and made a comment about how he might need some help... and the way he was holding his pencil at the bottom of the line where the letter should end I thought he was confused for a moment. But then, he went backwards and drew it from the bottom upwards, ending with the part that curves back around to the middle.

This is precisely how Tyson writes his lowercase letter 'e.'

Creepy, no?

How's THAT for genetics. I'm pretty positive Dawson has never actually watched Tyson write this way, and I've always thought it was a different way to go about the task. Maybe I am the unconventional lower case letter 'e' writer, ha. Either way, I could SWEAR their handwriting already bears similarity (although Tyson's is more than a little bit neater for the time being).

Anyway, enough about all that. MY LITTLE BOY IS OFF TO KINDERGARTEN in less than a month! I'm stocking up on Kleenex.

I promised him at the beginning of the summer that if he mastered his task of the first and last name perfectly before school started, I would take him to Target and get him ANY toy he wanted.

He chose this here Star Wars storm trooper gun:

He was so sweet in the store when he realized Anabelle wouldn't be getting a toy, he made her all kinds of promises about how he would share it and "I won't even tease you with it, Anabelle."

Of course he forgot almost immediately, but it was the thought that counted.

I think the best part was watching him SO excited to rush home and take it outside and round up all the neighborhood kids so they could play outside with it. It made me happy that he was so thrilled with a new toy, like it was something that really meant a lot to him because our kids NEVER get new toys between their birthdays and Christmas. So this was a definite reward, and a real treat. He was in heaven.

So am I, for that matter.

How did I get lucky enough to have the best and brightest kids ever?

xo

No comments: