Monday, January 26, 2009

Preparing for Battle

In preparation for boot camp, Tyson had me shave his head last week. Luckily it wasn't a big deal since we all know how freaking HOT he is even when he's completely bald. But its still a bit of an adjustment to go from a plentiful head of thick brown hair to "high and tight" overnight.





The buzzing ceremony took place in the kitchen after the kids were in bed, so Dawson was pretty mesmerized when he woke up to a practically bald daddy the next morning. Tyson (what were you thinking!?!?!) jokingly answered his confused expression with the explanation "Mama got the clippers and shaved my head while I was sleeping last night!"

HELLOOOO!?!?!?!? As if my kids don't already think I'm sadistic enough as it is!?!?! He quickly caught my death glare and corrected himself, insisting that he was only kidding and that he got this new haircut to look nice and clean for his police man school, and that Mama did buzz his hair, but that he asked me to.

Dawson immediately requested a matching buzz cut (predictable). His hair has gotten pretty shaggy recently, I've been too busy to stay on top of it like I try to be, so I semi-reluctantly agreed that Tyson could use the clippers to trim Dawson too. We told him we would do it one night after dinner and before his bath.

Yesterday as we were getting ready for church Tyson marched the little man into the kitchen to get his hair combed. That's when we noticed a chunk missing from the front of his hair. It wasn't super obvious, but definitely a big uneven patch. Hmmmm.



We began to grill him about it. He innocently told his Daddy that "Mom had probably cut his hair while he was sleeping." Sounds familiar, right?

Tyson took this for 'Oh, how cute, the little angel knows nothing and believes his Mom really does have psychotic tendencies,' but I smelled a rat right away. I persisted a little more,

"Dawson, did you clip your hair with scissors?"

"No."

"Dawson, you are NOT in trouble, Mommy understands that you want a haircut and I know sometimes kids like to do things by themselves. I just need to know if you did that to your hair?"

"NO! I didn't do ANYTHING to my hair, Mommy!"

"Dawson, are you telling me the truth? Because I wouldn't be upset about you cutting your own hair, but I would be upset about lying..."

"NO!! I DIDN'T CUT IT!"

I gave up because we were running out the door, but I was really confused. He seemed so sure that he didn't do it, and it wasn't painfully obvious that it had been cut because it wasn't a perfectly straight line or anything. Maybe we were just seeing things, and his hair grew in a little unevenly in the front...?

Later that evening around bedtime, Tyson came out of the hallway with a smirk on his face and said, "I got a confession out of him. He said he DID cut his hair, he wanted to look like me."

I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!, I'm NOT the kind of crazy that sees things that aren't really there. WHAT a little SNEAK!

But for some reason, I couldn't bring myself to crack the whip in his face for the ordeal. I do despise lying, we will have to be extra hard on him if it happens again (we let him know that). But you cant blame the little guy for wanting to be just like his daddy.

True to our word (and anxious to right the toddler super cut gone bad), last night, just before bath time...


Dawson got a new boot camp/big kid look, so now the McDermott men have matching "soldier" hair cuts.

He is so cute, he keeps calling the soft little baby fine prickles on top of his head "cozy!"



I'm not sure that's the right word for it, but they are a pretty handsome pair if you ask me.

Guess this makes my boys officially prepared for battle.

Maybe I should shave my head too...