Thursday, June 3, 2010

Getting Away With the Girls... and Boys.

Memorial Day weekend kiiiind of ruled.

It was the debut of SATC2. If you don't know what that is... you wont be into this blog at all... sorry bout that.

We've been planning this moment since the LAST movie came out. This time, we decided to bring the boys. I know what you are thinking. Why on EARTH would a bunch of dudes want to hang out with a bunch of girls painting their toenails and playing dress up all weekend? I think its because we all managed to find keepers that love us A LOT. But I dont feel that sorry for them, because they all seemed to manage themselves a good time.

I was a little nervous about leaving the kids. For some reason, when the opportunity to get away comes up, I always panic a little at the last minute. I know theyre in good hands when Im gone, its just the anticipation of leaving them behind. I definitely felt it this time, but the HUGE difference: when we called to check in, they had NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER in even SPEAKING to us. Like, we were inconvienencing their weekend away from us or something.

It was hilarious... and slightly heartbreaking. Our babies are independent kid-people now, who could care less about our whereabouts under the right circumstances.

Anabelle DID try to talk us in to coming along when she saw all the fancy things I was packing...


...of COURSE she had to try it all on. She almost could have fit right in... but in the end, I think we both had more fun our separate ways. ;)

Terese and Lyle have a beautiful new home in wine country! We spent lots and lots of time doing THIS kind of thing...



...that is to say... sitting around sipping something wonderful, and eating (emphasis on the eating).

Lynn taught me about these little beauties:


...I may forgive her someday for introducing the two of us if the little round balls of cellulose that suddenly appeared all over my body ever go away.

On Saturday night, after a nice long relaxing day of basking, sipping, chit-chatting, and primping... we were ready to hit the town for the big event.


Fun x infinity.

The movie was adorable. The theater we went to actually had nice appetizers (which we werent in the mood for since we had a nice time at a swanky hotel before we went...) but they also offered champagne and wine while the movie played. I had heard urban legend that such a thing existed in bigger metropolis outside the ragged edges of Atascabama, but it was ridiculously fun and unreal to actually get to do live in the flesh. That is what happens when you're the Charlotte (minus the hot nanny).

The whole night was nothing but a good time.

The next morning was Sunday, and Mike and Krista had to say goodbye. They have a little dude at home they had never left for 2 whole nights before calling their names. It was just as well for them... before they know it, he will be begging them not to call and interrupt his time with his fun grandparents.

We had a last supper at Starbucks to see them off, and took this perfect and adorable picture of the 4 of us in all our State Farm (alumnus for me) glory:



Awe. The good old days.

After the Biron send off, the remaining 6 of us packed a tasty picnic and headed out in search of some vino and spirits.


(...isnt he pretty?):
We found them.

This is such a great group of girls (who happen to also all have great taste in boys!), and I just treasure each of their relationships so much. Much has changed in all of our lives since we all worked in that little Goleta office on Fairview so long ago. Almost nothing is the same. I havnt been a working woman (outside of my house) for going on 5 years now! Most days, I wouldnt trade the opportunity I've had to watch my kids and all our friends grow up before my very eyes. But most days I also really do miss them, and how it used to be, too. And I really think its so special and extrordinairy that we've all managed to stay involved with each other the way we have since moving our separate ways.

Thanks, girls, for a fantastic weekend escape, for sharing your lives with me, and for showing this haggard mom a good time.

And Terese, for sharing your gorgeous new home and flawless hospitality, and planning a perfectly balanced agenda.

And Grandparents, for the opportunity to sneak away and know that our kids are in good hands and won't even notice we are gone.

Not gonna lie. It was a little more than tempting to stay... maybe just one more night...

1 comment:

Hammie Fam said...

I'm a little jealous. And thank you for spelling A LOT the right way =)