Monday, August 30, 2010

To Think Its Only Monday...

Don't be fooled by the illusion of peace and innocence portrayed below:

This day was bananas.


Tyson worked his first 'alone' shift yesterday- and was 'forced,' meaning they required him to stay and work a double. We got a heads up, so we had plenty of time to make back up arrangements to get Dawson to school and such, but it was a definite reminder of what a luxury it has been to have him back in the picture again!

My Mom was kind enough to step in and take the morning carpool responsibility (thanks again, Mom!).
Of course, last week he developed a toothache, and I had to make him a dentist appointment the second week of school (star parenting moment, for sure).

Since we are still getting into the groove of things (read: its utter and complete confusion) I had NO idea what time lunch was. I was guessing not to pack a lunch since the appointment was 11:10, but I sent a snack. Welp... evidently, the kids don't eat snack at morning recess anymore (?!?!?!?!?). Thankfully my Mom insisted he scarf down a string cheese on the car ride over, but even so he was STARVED when he got home, and couldn't eat for an hour and a half until the anesthetic wore off. It was almost the end of both of us.
Then, after his meltdown last week just to tug at my fraying heartstrings a little bit more... evidently when my Mom went to pick my baby up, the office paged him, and when it was taking longer than expected for him to appear in the office she offered to start walking toward the classroom.

Good thing, too!
My poor sweet boy was wandering around lost, and finally heading back to his classroom. He had no idea where the back door to the office was, or how to get there, or any way of reading a sign that said 'office' even if it had been as bright and flashy as the Vegas strip!

Ahh, growing pains.
Back to school night is Thursday.

I'm looking forward to feeling more informed after that.

So. Now is the part where I have to rant about the actual dentist. First, let me say... we brush. Usually. I mean, lets be honest. We're a busy family of 4. Bedtime is hectic on a good night. Our kids don't stay up til midnight and eat candy corn for dinner, but... we get distracted sometimes. And we definitely haven't been faithful flossers.

I had NO IDEA a massive cavity could form so fast for a five year old! I am shocked. I shouldn't be... he is my kid. And I have mean teeth. Mean like horrible and rotten, not like lean and mean... just to clarify. Anyways- we learned Dawson had 2 cavities when he went to his last appointment at the beginning of summer. I figured we'd put it on the list of things to save for... and then all of a sudden he said it hurt! It felt like 5 minutes went by in between.
So... after today... one cleaning/exam and 2 fillings later... we have already maxed his annual limit of $1k out, and paid $240 (plus $75 out of pocket for the exam!) in addition to what we pay monthly for our insurance.

And they found 2 more cavities today. And quoted me $500. With a discount.

Holy smokes. Who knew being a daycare dentist was so much more lucrative than being a daycare hag?!?! ("Not I," said the hag!).

I would also like to throw in the fact that I had to get a new cell phone recently. Which always puts me in a bad mood. Technology is not my thing. Thats one of the many reasons my husband is so good for me! He does all the homework and gets me a new phone when I need it, sets it up, and shows me how to use it. Its not that I couldn't do it myself. I think he just kind of likes it, and I kind of despise it... so it works out.

But this time... its already broken. It does this thing where the back light stays on, so the battery dies in like, an hour. And... it answers itself without ringing first. So, I never know when someone is on the line. Which is awesome when you have your phone in your pocket while you're "motivating" your kids to get out the door after you overslept. Or scolding your daughter for flashing the entire bank her underwear while you were trying to make a deposit.
So, I decided to be proactive since Tyson worked tonight, and went down to the wireless store to tell them my sad story about my brand new defective phone.... when all of a sudden I entered a mystical land of unicorns and leprechauns, and in that garden of all flawless technology the stinking phone magically started working.

How do these things happen?!?!?

I thanked the man behind the counter for listening to me whine about my imaginary problems with my brand new phone... left the store... and found out ten minutes later it was broken again.

When I got home, it was a mad dash to get the kids in bed early so tomorrow could be a smoother start (ie: Mom not oversleeping, Dad being home, etc.).

Dawson asked if he could help make dinner while Anabelle took a bath. I said sure.

I was so distracted by my son, who thought the broiler was "so interesting!" (his choice of words) that he nearly put his entire head inside of it, that I forgot to tell my darling daughter to shut off the bathwater. I didnt think at 4 I should worry about drowning. But evidently my little disney princess wannabe needs a reality check, because she isn't actually a mermaid in real life, and the bathtub was seconds from overflowing by the time I got there. We have really deep tubs.
My dog almost bit my hand off playing fetch in the back yard.

My kids left their clothes they changed out of everywhere, and didn't put their laundry away despite the fact that I asked them repeatedly and they promised it was done.

It was a craaaaazy Monday.

Good thing there's only one of those every week. And I think maybe God is trying to give me an extra dose of peace about sending my daughter to her first day of her last year of preschool tomorrow... which I am SO looking forward to.
Especially after a day like today.


No comments: